Lead Trial Attorney
The Jefferson County Public Defender’s Community Law Office (CLO) seeks experienced litigators to serve as Lead Trial Attorneys in the Birmingham Division. Lead Trial Attorneys in the Birmingham Division combine demonstrated dedication to the representation of indigent clients with strong leadership and litigation skills to ensure the highest standard of client representation. Lead Trial Attorneys assist in the day-to-day operations of the office and supervise a team of attorneys and support staff, while maintaining an active caseload.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- Demonstrated commitment to zealous and comprehensive public defense;
- The ability to work with other supervisors to ensure a high standard of representation for all clients;
- The ability to train, mentor, manage, and motivate a team of less experienced attorneys;
- Strong supervisory skills;
- Substantial criminal or family law litigation experience and strong trial skills (at least five years felony trial experience preferred);
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Active membership in good standing in the Alabama State Bar;
- Ability to maintain an active case load in addition to supervising staff;
- Ability to manage exempt and non-exempt staff;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to appraise timely and accurately the performance of staff and assign appropriately challenging work to all; and
- Ability to foster a culture of excellence, resourcefulness, and zealousness among attorneys and staff.
- The ability to obtain an Alabama law license prior to beginning work or become otherwise eligible to practice in the Alabama courts;
- Supervisory experience is strongly desired;
- Five or more years litigation experience, preferably in a criminal or family law setting with trial experience required; and
- Proficiency in Spanish is highly desired, but not required.